- Facing a hard time saying NO to people? Well, you are not alone! Saying NO to someone can be one of the hardest things to do and it is a common problem for many of us.
Have you found yourself in the following “YES” situations?
- Saying “YES” to a job offer that was below your expectations
- “Can you do this for me? I need to meet up 5 pm deadline today?” YES!, even though you have tons of other stuff to do.
- An unempathetic co-worker who always seeks your assistance to do jobs he/she doesn’t want to get involved in the worst of cases, pressures you and fails to show empathy to your own workload. And you still say “YES”!
Don’t you feel frustrated after saying YES? You find yourself doing something that you didn’t want to do. It adds to your stress and when we do it, it sometimes isn’t our best work.
If we don’t learn how to say NO, we do ourselves a disfavour
It’s very common after saying YES, we justify it by thinking,
“I did someone a favour, it can’t be all that bad”, “I’ll try to make the job worthwhile in other ways” or “I’ll try to say no next time”. Well, unfortunately, the reality is:
- You did someone a favour but did yourself a disfavour by adding more stress to your life